Wolf Bracka department store is located in the very centre of Warsaw, at Bracka street. This part of the city remembers its best pre-war shopping traditions. You will experience here the exclusive ambiance of the department stores of Paris, London or Berlin, and the atmosphere of a modern street in the centre of a European city.
The building has an elegant and minimalistic nature. It is not only the universal architecture, but also the vicinity of Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego or the National Museum that emphasize the rank of the building.
The rounded, elegant facade smoothly bends along the Bracka street and its arched corners perfectly correspond with the neighbouring buildings.
The glazed ground floor of the building extends the Bracka street. It grasps it inside and the pedestrians walk through the building corridors. The ground floor is an active and open space of the department store. The escalator system starts here. Specifically exposed, both inside and on the facade, the escalators become a vivid symbol of a big city department store. The highest storey is a light, yet impressive finial of the building shape.
Inside the department store is made of classy and high quality materials, which elegantly match simple forms and colors.
The building has an elegant and minimalistic nature.
The idea behind the design was to create a luxurious and ultramodern frame for things and concepts presented here. The department store guests are offered exclusive goods of the world top fashion designers. In this part of Europe it is one of very few places offering the highest quality collections of outwear for men, women and kids. You will also find here furniture, accessories for modern interior design, restaurant, winery, delicatessen, hairdresser and perfumery.
Prof. dr hab. architect Stefan Kuryłowicz, 1941-2011
The plot in the "Na koniec Nowego Świata" street belongs to Missionary Priests Congregation.
In 1770 the "Na koniec Nowego Świata" street is named Bracka - in Polish it means "brotherly"; as it was in the vicinity of land, which belonged to monastery brothers.
In the beginning of the 19th century the representative Aleje Jerozolimskie street was built and it crossed the Bracka street.
In the 19th century the vicinity of the Bracka street has elegant tenements and municipal investments.
Between the two world wars the first modern department store is built in the city.
During the Warsaw Upraising the areas of the Bracka street became the arena of fierce battles, in which many buildings were destroyed.
The first trolleybus line in the town appears in Bracka and the driveway is replaced with a path for pedestrians.
Completed investment - Wolf Bracka department store.
When the town was founded about 1300 A.D. the plot located in the south west corner of the present crossroads of the Bracka street and Aleje Jerozolimskie belonged to Kałęczyn-Chmielnik and served to townspeople.
In the 15th and 16th century, in effect of princely, and later royal orders, some of the land was given to clergy and friars. In the end of the 17th century the subject plot became a possession of the Missionary Priests Congregation. In the north it edged the Żórawka river flowing from the Chmielno floodplains (the area of the present Starynkiewicza square) to the forge of the present Książęca street, and in the south it was adjacent to agricultural road in the line of the present Wspólna street. The region was crossed with a running road called "Na koniec Nowego Świata" (at the end of the New World), which connected the market of Grzybów jurydyka (administrative district established in 1650) with the Jazdów village (the area of the present Wiejska street).
Circa 1750 the Żórawka river was regulated - in the west of Nowy Świat it was turned into a jerozolimski channel and in the east, until its estuary to the Vistula river, it was channelized.
In 1770 the older road "Na koniec Nowego Świata" was officially named as Bracka street. Its name was a tribute to monastery brothers, Paulinians and Augustians, who owned the land with the crossing street those days. The whole area was attached to Warsaw based on Town Law (1791), which assumed a coherent area of the Warsaw agglomeration.
In the end of 18th century the street was developed with wooden houses and manors. In 1776-1782, at the crossroads of Bracka and Chmielna streets (in the area of the present department store - DT Braci Jabłkowskich) a cylindric, four storey wooden circus was raised - called Szczwalnia or Heca and it served as a "Colosseum" for wild animal fights.
In the years 1818-1823 Aleje Jerozolimskie street was designed and completed. Three driveways, four channels and six rows of poplars crossed the Bracka street.
At the same time an intense construction development started in the streets of Nowy Świat, Bracka, Żurawa, Chmielna and Aleje Jerozolimskie. Tenements began to emerge along the streets - starting with single houses, then groups of two-storey buildings and finally elegant, three storey apartment houses in the end of the 19th century.
Special attention should be paid to a tenement with an impressive royal facade, raised in 1834 in the south- west corner of the Bracka street and Aleje Jerozolimskie.
In the first half of the 19th century the Bracka street gained a new corner house, the brewery buildings and so called "barracks of the Jerozolimskie Way."
In the end of the 19th century there was another boom in the construction works. Aleje Jerozolimskie with its cross-cuts, in the section between the Marszałkowska street and Nowy Świat, was developed with elegant apartment houses, mainly three-storey high. Circa 1875 a part of the house in the south-west corner of Bracka street and Aleje Jerozolimskie (raised in 1834) was rebuilt from the Bracka street into a two-storey apartment house with a palace-like facade.
In the years 1882-1883 in the north-east corner of Aleje Jerozolimskie ad Bracka street an eclectic, four-storey apartment house was raised and it was embellished with a quadrangular helmet at the top corner.
In the years 1886-1890 in the proximity of Bracka street a number of municipal investments were completed. The sewage system and water supply system was built. In 1895 in the section between Marszałkowska and Nowy Świat a horsecar line was built.
In the years 1903-1910 both corners of the Bracka and Nowogrodzka crossroads were developed with big, four-storey apartment houses. In the south-west corner of the street, circa 1903 a five-storey, art-nouveau eclectic building was raised for an Insurance Society "Zgoda".
On 23 May 1908 the first electric tram started to operate in the Aleje Jerozolimskie street and its route was from Rogatki Mokotowskie (now the Unii Lubelskiej square) to the Stalowa street. Tram lines were also put in the bridge of Prince Józef Poniatowski. They connected the centre of the city with Praga and Grochów, but the first trams moved here only in August 1925, when the bridge was finally rebuilt after the destruction during the first world war.
In the years 1921-1932, in the framework of modernization of the Warsaw Railway Grid, under Aleje Jerozolimskie a railway tunnel was built to connect the new Main Station (1930-1939) and the Eastern Station. In 1931 in the corner of Nowy Świat and Aleje Jerozolimskie a monumental building of Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego was open to its clients.
In the period between the two world wars the Bracka street was commercial in the whole length. The ground floors of all houses were occupied by shops and stores of the top Warsaw companies. The best known stores were in the section between Aleje Jerozolimskie and the Chmielna street. This is the place where the Jabłkowski Brothers Department Store was located, the first modern department store in the town.
In the effect of bombing in the area of the Main Station in September 1939 two houses in Bracka street were destroyed - in its western part, on the northern side of Aleje Jerozolimskie.
During the Warsaw Upraising (1 August - 2 October 1944) the area of the crossroads at Bracka street and Aleje Jerozolimskie became the arena of vigorous battles of the groups of major "Sarna" for a maintenance of the connection between the "North" and "South" centres. It was made at night from 7th and 8th August through Aleje Jerozolimskie, running in a shallow trench with barricades. The passage was located to the west of the crossroads with the Krucza street (between houses 17 and 22). It was under the German gunfire, among others from the building of Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego.
Direct fighting and shooting at the insurgents positions caused partial destruction of houses at Aleje Jerozolimskie in the section between Marszałkowska street and Nowy Świat, including the corners of Bracka street. The BGK building was damaged more seriously.
After the capitulation of the Upraising the civilians were expelled from the town and grouped in a temporary camp in Pruszków. Some of them were sent to unfree labour to Germany, others were sent to kieleckie and krakowskie voivodship, where they were released from trains in left alone in unknown places. In October 1944 the Germans burnt the buildings, which remained standing after the fights.
On 17 January 1945 the First Polish Army occupied the town on the left river bank in the framework of the Warsaw Operation conducted by Soviet armies and the First Belarus Front.
The Council of Ministers Decree of 26 October 1945 on taking over land in the area of the capital city of Warsaw allowed more freedom for the Office of Capital Reconstruction. It was supposed to complete the plans of a development of a new, socialist Warsaw, among others, by destroying the "relics of capitalism".
In 1946 trolleybus communication was opened in the town. It was based on a dozen or so overused trolleybuses given to the town by Moscow. The first trolleybus line wan through the Bracka street (it connected the Unia Lubelska square with the Theatre Square).
In 1948 the Krucza street was extended to the north, over the line of Aleje Jerozolimskie, to connect with Bracka street. Therefore the remaining classicist apartment house was disassembled in the south corner of Bracka and Widok streets. Demolishing the Jabłkowski Brothers Department Store, which was on the line of the extended street, was postponed, thanks to which the building remained untouched until today.
In the 50s of the 20th century a functional building of the Central Department Store (now the "Smyk" store), the Orbis office building with the specific neon in the form of a globe, placed in the building corner, and an office building, where the General Office of Controlling Press, Publications and Exhibitions. The last two objects were built in the spirit of socialist realism.
Circa 1950 the driveway of the Bracka street in the section from Aleje Jerozolimskie to the former crossing with the Widok street was replaced with a sidewalk.
In the beginning of the 70s of the 20th century the course of the Bracka street, so far crossing the square, was changed and directed perpendicularly to Aleje Jerozolimskie, along the BGK facade. Aboveground parking was organized on the remaining area.
Compiled by: Fryderyk Szymański, APA Kuryłowicz & Associates
In October 2011 the Wolf Bracka department store was open. Its tasteful architecture perfectly suits the vicinity and the scale of this part of the centre. Elegant finishing of the interiors reflect the luxurious goods and services presented here. This is a place, where you can feel the spirit of a great metropolis. Wolf Bracka department store reinvigorated the merchant traditions of pre-war capital.
the unique stone coming from Brazil fits various types of interiors and has a wide range of use. In the investment it was used to make the outside elevation, the inside walls, flooring on commercial storeys and stair surface in staircases.
due to its technical parameters it was used for the construction of inside walls on staircases, in technical rooms and on the inside walls on the commercial storeys.
is specific for its modern design, natural beauty and a very good durability Thanks to these properties it was used for the completion of inside walls in the parking areas.
is ideal for exclusive finishing of the interior. Thanks to these properties it is perfect for the use in outside conditions, and that is why it was used for outside terraces on the fifth aboveground floor.
this is a group of steel with special physical and chemical properties, resistant to corrosion from atmospheric conditions. That is why stainless steel was used to build handrails for stairs, lifts and door cladding.
or otherwise decorative plaster - is one of the most universal kinds of ornamental plaster. In the investment it was used on inside walls on commercial floors.
ul. Bracka 9
tel: +48 22 436 37 16
Wolf Immobilien Polen Sp. z o.o. was established on 26 January 1996. The company was founded with the intention to invest in the Warsaw real estate market and is a continuity of economic activity carried out by its shareholders since 1989.
From the beginning of its activity the company focuses on gaining areas located in the most prestigious locations of Warsaw. To complete the investment tasks efficiently, the company shareholders decided to reorganize it. The uniform company structure was split and among others Wolf Bracka Branch was separated from it to start business on 1 May 2002. On May the 30th 2008 the company was transformed from a limited liability company into a joint stock company.
The assets of the Wolf Bracka Branch included the real estated located at Bracka street in Warsaw. Taking into account the location of the real estate in the close vicinity of prestigious shopping passages of Warsaw, also in the proximity of the communication crossings, a decision was made to develop an exclusive department store in this area.
Prestigious location, entrusting the design work to one of the best Polish architects, prof. dr hab. Stefan Kuryłowicz and the high standard of the investment will completely meet the requirements of the most demanding clients and tenant of the Wolf Bracka department store.
All designs of Wolf Immobilien Polen S.A. are distinctive with a unique architecture, high finishing standard and they are unquestionably recognizable in the Warsaw market. They were created with the intention to remain in the company portfolio as long-term investments. The company has been using the services of specialist companies for many years to realize the intended tasks, which let the company develop in the real estate market.
The legal support has been provided by such renowned law firms as Hogan&Hartson, K&L Gates, Bird&Bird.
The company financing process for many years has been based on cooperation with international financial institutions such as Dresdner Bank AG, BNP Dresdner Bank, Eurohypo, DZ Bank, Bank of China.
The financial auditing and tax advising has been provided by such renowned auditors and councilors as Ernst&Young or KPMG. In terms of real estated assessment the company has been using, among others, the services of Knight Frank.
Building commercialization and expansion planning in the real estate market is carried out with the cooperation of worldwide agencies – Cushman&Wakefield and CBRE.
The company focuses on gaining areas located in the most prestigious locations of Warsaw.
So far we have gained financially stable and long-term tenants of our buildings, among others: Dresdner Bank AG, Bank BNP Paribas SA, Bank BGŻ SA, Bank of China, Advent International, CC Group, Stock Polska, Volvo, Ikea. The exclusive world fashion designers, such as Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Bottega Veneta, Saint Laurent, Lanvin opened their first and the only ones in Poland boutiques.